These aisles represent the second stage in the extension of the church. The south aisle was begun in 1220, about forty years after the completion of the original building; the one to the north was begun some thirty years later (about 1250), and was made of four bays.
The windows in the side aisles may well not have been enlarged to their present size until the 14th century. It is thought to be the only window left which was contemporary with the rest of the early nave and originally all the nave windows were like it.
Without doubt, one original role of the building was that of defence. Under threat of invasion or attack, the church could become a stronghold into which the inhabitants of the village, together with their possessions (including livestock) could come for security.
And what is this ????
To read more about the side aisles, the Church Guide, price £2.50, is available from the Rector.