Marianne King-Wilson from Ontario has given permission for this beautiful water-colour to
be published on our site. It belonged to her grandmother, Mabel Wensley
King-Wilson, nee Brownson, whose mother was born Alice Lily Osborn of Barton and
her father was Richard Osborn.
Perhaps Alice Lily is buried in the St. Nicholas churchyard?
Opposite the church, across from the entrance, stands the previous Rectory. The earliest Tudor part of this building is thought to date from 1563 and is that north-facing part of the house adjacent to the porch at the front door. Anglican clergy were not allowed to marry until 1549 so it is likely that Thomas Norley (1569) was the first priest able to forsake the cold and draughty accommodation in the tower for the relative comfort of the new dwelling.
To read more about the Old Rectory and Gardens, the Church Guide, price £2.50, is available from the Rector.
Submitted by Heather Massie
If anyone has photographs or paintings of the Parish they wish to share please email the website editor.